Re: Student Art Calendars

From: DtGaffney
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 12:53:42 PDT

    Sharon,

    I was the creative director for an art calendar for a creative and performing
    arts school for the passed 3 years. The first two years I did it gratis
    because my Mom had been a teacher there and it was her concept. The calendar
    served two purposes. It raised funds for art supplies for students who were
    financally unable to afford, and it raised the exposure of the school and the
    talent of its students to the public.

    We used photographs of the student artwork and then scanned into computer. I
    worked with a guy at the university from which I just graduated. He did most
    of the work on the computer. I did most of the conception of the design.

    Believe me it took MANY, MANY hours of working togther. The publication was
    11x12" horizontal format, four color, with glossy black cover, one photo on
    each page, and then vcarious photos on intro page. We submitted a grant
    proposal to a local foundation for $5,000.00 the first year. And that is
    because I got some of the pre-press work at half price. You can look to local
    retail vendors, even Target, for funds and finacial support. We produced 500
    the first year and 1000 this passed year. we spent approx. $9,000.00 this
    year. So, you can see the calendars need to sell at a price that your public
    will pay and one at which you can make a profit.

    What I suggest is get some bids from local vendors, for graphics, printing
    (know what you want, glossy or matte finish, one photo or two per page? how
    many pages, how bound, shrink wrapped, pc. of cardboard for support inside),
    pre-press work, graphic design (if you can't do it yourself). It is a lot to
    manage and needs several months, a minimum of 4-5 months. You WILL have
    glitches! Factor in time. Get all bids, signed with at least a 90 day
    guarentee unless you change specifications.

    Think about how you will market them. People are wonderful at saying they'll
    sell them until the time comes around. Figure it out, wil l students sell,
    local bookstores, etc?

    Please feel free to send any more questions my way. If I can help I'd be more
    than glad to. So many people have helped me out here on this Getty artsednet.

    Donna

    PS if you want me to send anyone a copy I will. Howver, I don't have them to
    give away. They are $12.00. I'll have to find out about shipping costs.

    ---