Vinnie Ream: Forgotten artist and unknown writer

From: Glenn Sherwood (sherwood)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 07:55:40 PDT

    You might want to check out http://www.vinnieream.com
    This site has photos, speeches, an art compendium and
    full text of the U.S. Senate debate over the Federal
    commission on the 1870 Ream statue of Lincoln. The
    site is now our primary contact with the outside world
    but I'm not sure how many people even know it exists.

    The site has a link to my book on the artist and will be
    giving information soon about a video documentary that
    is nearing completion. I'm related to the Ream family
    through both parents and decided to write a comprehensive
    illustrated biography on Ms. Ream when I discovered that
    nothing quite like it had ever been done before. That
    project became a ten-year odyssey and isn't over yet!

    The book is not selling and has been ignored to death
    by the main-stream media. It's still deeply in debt.
    After doing a project like this, I wonder how anything
    of any quality is being produced at all. The big-biz
    publishing environment today is not exactly favorable
    toward fostering this kind of disadvantaged product.

    My book was turned down by 36 publishers. Most said it
    was "worthwhile" and "well-conceived" but added that the
    artist was "not well-known enough" to justify such a book.
    I was an unknown writer with a book about a forgotten
    woman artist; the worst possible situation, perhaps?

    (kudef) on Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:58:45,
    I would say that the media is very much obsessed by
    whatever sells and can make the big moolah. It's
    often celebrity crap and "idiot Culture" goofiness.

    It's an insider racket dominated by top producers who
    have connections and an inside track. There is not
    very much room for new thought or originality in this!
    The "good-ole-boys kind of production" often prevails.

    Glenn V. Sherwood

    ---