RE: Art Fat Unite and Leave

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 06:47:37 PDT

    > Aristotle said "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then
    > is not an act but a habit."

    Good quote; one I ran across just the other day and was going to post
    relating to the discussion on art "talent".

    Another relevant one appears in the latest National Geographic. My wife
    took it to work today, but there is an article in it about Australia. The
    author, looking for the beginning of "human consciousness" (one of the
    earmarks being the development of art) was talking with an Aborigine woman
    about her art. The old womans comment was that we are all artists, but in
    many "western" cultures, the skills have been "educated" out of us. Not
    necessarily by the school art programs, but by society as a whole.

    It makes me wonder, though, how much budding artistic talent we thwart by
    erecting standards of "good" and "bad" art?

    As the Taoist Lao Tzu said, "We do not recognize Beauty unless we also
    recognize Ugliness."

    Larry P.

    ---