The 1st Lesson an Art Teacher Should Learn

From: Dennis Golombek (dennis_golombek)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 17:37:21 PDT

    Following the retirment last week of an art teacher in my building and the
    two-time defeat of the budget by the people we carefully moved the majority
    of her supplies, utensils, props, etc. ( you know the few things we gather)
    from her third-floor room to my second-floor room. But now my principal who
    told me things would remain the same wanted me to defend why I shouldn't
    move to the third floor and use my room as a social studies classroom.
    Obviously "things would remain the same" until he changed his mind and now
    with the budget defeats it will be just me and a part-time art teacher who
    will be travelling between three buildings.

    I talked with my friends on the custodial staff, the one I bring doughnuts
    are some of my wife's cookies too every once in awhile and they don't mind
    making the change. This was the first lesson I learned as an art teacher 15
    years ago...be kind to the custodians. They are as important in our jobs as
    anyone.

    Happy 4th!

    Dennis

    Dennis Golombek