Re: mentor question

From: PHimmelber
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 12:53:58 PDT

    I just finished my second year of teaching elementary art and I have had two
    mentors. The first was an experienced art teacher and my polar opposite. His
    strengths are in music... tho' he has a strong repetoire of art projects that
    serve him well. He was helpful with classroom management ideas and such, but,
    as he describes us... we are like fire and water. He is project oriented,
    while I am process oriented. He is a neat freak... and I run an art studio
    where clay and plaster and paint are the order of the day... messy but fun.
    He proceeds with step by step instructions... and will hands on help a
    student. I talk about what the stuff is... how it works and let's try to make
    a ...(whatever). He will show examples... I will demonstrate... and on and
    on. We got along very well, however. Took some graduate classes together and
    I appreciate all of the help and support he offered. Uncertified last year,
    our PE teacher was my mentor... and she was even more helpful, being right
    there and having the same schedule. Mentor programs are great stuff for
    beginners... I wouldn't trade for either of the two who helped me. Peter

    ---