mentor question

From: mcgugan (mcgugan)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 10:02:21 PDT

    Hi, all.

    I am in a grad class and one of my assignments is on mentors/mentees. If
    you have anything to share, I'd appreciate it.

    If you are a mentor, what did you do to help your mentee? What kind of
    responsibilities did you have? What do you think was most beneficial to
    your mentee? Was that person a certified first year teacher, lateral entry,
    or just new to your school? What kind of leadership qualities should a
    mentor have? Does your school or district have a formal program?

    If you were a new teacher, etc. how did your mentor help you? What kind of
    methods were used? What about positive and negative experiences? What kind
    of characteristics/skills do you think a mentor should have?

    Thanks again for any help!
    Joy
    mcgugan

    P.S. I really don't have a personal experience with being mentored. When I
    began teaching 10 years ago, I was lateral entry. I asked administration
    for a mentor and they said "Why? You're not certified" and I said I wouldn't
    need one when I finally was certified. They gave me a mentor about a year
    later, she wasn't even in art, and both of us thought it was rather silly.

    ---