Re: ain't it what it"s all about

From: maryannkohl (maryann)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 14:47:57 PDT

    >It must be nice living where the deer come to your back door.

    Speaking of where we live: Today I saw a bald eagle zero in on a
    suspecting (yes, he knew he was the target) duck who couldn't get away,
    and then shred the poor thing on a piling on our dock. Wouldn't you think
    that something as majestic as a bald eagle would sever the spine or cut
    the throat first? EEch. No wonder the ducks swim for cover when they see
    the familiar shadow reflecting in the water.

    My favorite wildlife experience was when a mother mink was raising her
    babies under our dock. She went off for too long I guess, because the
    babies came out to explore. They were friendly and cuter than kittens.
    But when she got back, and found they had been playing on our beach, she
    bit each of them and pushed them back into the nest. They were very
    sorry! She knew that mink are not supposed to be friendly with humans.
    Later that summer, when she started nipping at us when we were swimming,
    we had to call fish and wildlife to ask for advice. They said to play a
    radio outside loud all night and leave a lantern burning on the dock.
    After several days of this, she moved her nest. I was sorry about that,
    but being bitten by a mink is not very funny.

    MaryAnn
    on Lake Whatcom, in Bellingham, Washington
    (Pacific Northwest)

    PS We never see otters any more and we are concerned about that. They
    used to frolic in our lake like crazy.

    maryann
    http://www.brightring.com

    ---