Re: Newspaper in Art Education

From: KLMVisArt
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 13:04:27 PDT

    Dennis,
    I teach preK-5 and try to include the newspaper often. For earlier grades I
    try to submit work for publication. For example the Providence Journal has a
    program with Rhode Island School of Design where they have created a mailing
    for students to draw the weather. It comes with a reproduction of an artwork
    by Claude Monet and asks students to choose and draw a type of weather. One
    artwork is then displayed with each forecast! So I just called and asked for
    a large shipment of these.
    For grades 2 and up I xerox articles that relate to artists we are learning
    about. I will often include writeups on local artists that tie in as well.
    For example our Sunday paper last week had a great 2 page spread on Calder's
    exhibit in Conn. I'll include that with the handout that I typed up so that
    they see art as being something current.
    Last year I included several articles on Kara Walker in a silhouette lesson
    handout that covered the history of early New England silhouttes. Seeing
    that this young artist won the Genius Grant using this medium in a
    contemporary way really seemed to heighten their interest. They also liked
    creating narratives, which is what Walker does.
    I look forward to hearing from others...
    Kerry

    ---