Re: Art Clubs

From: KSchiavo00
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 09:39:03 PDT

    My first year at the middle school I started my club called :
    the "A" Team. This was a group of 7th and 8th grade students who would meet
    twice a month for 1 and 1/2 hours to help me with some of my work around the
    school. Put up and take down displays, design bulletin boards, make
    decorations for dances etc... I required the following of all interested
    students:
            *Must be passing All classes with a "C" or better.
            *Must have 3 letters of recommendation from 3 teachers
            *Must write a short paragraph on why he/she would like to be
    part of the "A" team.
    This worked out nicely -till the special ed teacher got a hold of this and
    thought it would be cool for her students to be involved in this. It became
    an ENORMOUS amount of work for me and much frustration since their quality of
    work was lower than I would allow. I ended up dissolving the club and
    quietly selected a few students to "help" me at various times during and
    after school.
        It would be cool to have a club: had plans to design and screenprint our
    own shirts etc... but this added responsibility is not a PAID one and I don't
    need ANOTHER thing to organize and orchestrate. Our school has a large
    population of special ed students that are mainstreamed throughout my
    classes- and have no problem teaching them during school - I just don't have
    the patience to work with them on my own time. Am I a bad person?
    Kathy in Kalamazoo

    ---