Re: Art Clubs

From: James West (jwest)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 11:04:04 PDT

    Oh my goodness, I swear to you that this was like reading about my art club
    EXACTLY! That is really funny! I let the kids pick what they want to do
    and they know the budget, and then I sort of guide them into a project or
    two that I know they would really like. The only difference with mine was
    that I cut the number off at 16 students, and they had a little lab fee
    which payed for all the supplies. Good luck, as was said, the first year
    is kind of a test year!

    I teach elementary, and I have an art club. I limit it to fifth graders.
    > The first year I had the club, I had way too many sign up, so I held a
    > lottery, and drew out names for two groups of 25. One group was held in
    > Oct./Nov. for eight sessions, and one in Jan./Feb. for eight sessions. It
    > ended just in time for my big art show in March. I did have some discipline
    > problems the first year. However, after the first year, students found out
    > that art club was a serious art activity, they had to be willing to work.
    > Now, I don't have as many members, but those I have work hard and enjoy it.

    ---