Re: Art Clubs

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 06:07:35 PDT

    > I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice on art
    clubs.
    > I have tried them in the past with no success.

    Dear VGE,

    I teach elementary, and I have an art club. I limit it to fifth graders.
    The first year I had the club, I had way too many sign up, so I held a
    lottery, and drew out names for two groups of 25. One group was held in
    Oct./Nov. for eight sessions, and one in Jan./Feb. for eight sessions. It
    ended just in time for my big art show in March. I did have some discipline
    problems the first year. However, after the first year, students found out
    that art club was a serious art activity, they had to be willing to work.
    Now, I don't have as many members, but those I have work hard and enjoy it.

    Now, I usually have 30 - 50 sign up, and I just split the group in two and
    have my Fall and Winter club. If I would get too many (over 50), I'd use
    the lottery technique. Having too many students would lessen the quality of
    what I'm trying to do. Plus, since I volunteer, I want to enjoy myself!

    We do mostly sculpture because we don't get to do that much of it in regular
    classes. We make ceramic pieces (lugged up to the high school for firing),
    we paint the showcase windows (we have grade level flat showcases in our
    hall that nobody wants to use), we create a figure with sculptamold, I plan
    to do coiled baskets this year, we have made wooden and papier mache
    sculptures (but we get to do that in class, so I don't do it as often).
    Oh, and we have a pizza party on the last day. I receive $250 from PTA to
    buy whatever I need for the class.

    Leah

    ---