Re: experience vs cost

From: Jarsawyer
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 05:03:14 PDT

    Patty -- thank you! Wish I had your letter before the interview. Because I
    was in the district, I thought they knew me or knew of my classroom
    management skills. This is what I brought into the interview -- two
    portfolios of children's work, two letters of recommendation from my current
    school, several "love" letters from a previous principal that went with
    photos of "events" I ran for him -- all on a volunteer basis -- a page and
    half list of objectives for the year (art skills I wanted students to achieve
    before heading for high school art classes), a resume of course.

    Where I blew it was with the management issue. Because I'm in an elementary
    school and was applying for middle school, I thought they wanted to hear that
    I could be tough with kids -- also I look like a "softie" and I wanted them
    to know I have a no nonsense approach -- which I do. But I said that I would
    send kids out rather than have them bring the whole class down -- and that
    ended the interview right there I could tell. I wrote a letter to the
    principal afterwards explaining in detail what I do for classroom management
    and that as a seasoned teacher I thought she meant exceptionally poor
    behavior not the day to day little stuff. Anyway that's where I blew it.
    Funny thing is, in any given year, I only have to send kids out twice at the
    most. Usually the projects are so engaging no one wants to leave. Too bad I
    didn't remember to mention that!

    Oh well. I love the school I'm in and make excellent money for part time. I
    just feel so scattered part time in 3 different schools.

    Thanks again.

    ---