Critters and an invitation

From: L. P. Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 20:09:04 PDT

    Ok, since we're going there...........we have 9.5 acres that butts up to
    someone else's 200 acres in the back. The house is 30' off the back
    property line, so our driveway is almost a quarter mile long. At any given
    time, you can look out a window and see several rabbits and innumerable
    birds. Since we have lived here (2 years), we have seen deer, turtles,
    Lucifer the black snake (yuck), doves, a groundhog we call Arnold, hoppy
    toads galore, quail, American Woodcock, and 2 years ago on the 4th of July,
    a mama wild turkey and 5 babies walked across our yard. We also have brown
    bats, and have heard but not seen hoot owls in the woods out back. We also
    have those bright green tree frogs with the big sucker toes as well as the
    plainer frogs. We have seen 7 hummingbirds fight over the feeder at once.
    Our neighbors have a creek running under their driveway, which is actually
    the beginning of the Haw River. 2 beavers have dammed the creek on the
    "upriver" side of their driveway, creating a pond effect in the woods.
    Unbelievable.

    Now - if any of you live near Greensboro, NC and want some blackberries,
    y'all come on out here and get 'em. We picked 10lbs tonight, and have
    picked another 10lbs already this week. It drives me nuts to watch 'em go
    to waste. We're supposed to get some more rain mid-week, and thunderstorms
    keep 'em fat too. No way we can pick 'em all, and couldn't store them if we
    could. Let me know if you're interested and I"ll get you some directions.

    Lisa Skeen