Re: Screamers--

From: KPRS (kprs)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 18:19:32 PDT

    Just to jump in with the screamers, I did them this year with NON-art
    students, in a Gifted Class. They loved doing them, and while they might not
    have been as intricate as art students' work might have been, their specific
    assignment was that they had to make a screamer that was interacting with an
    invention of the 20th century. We displayed them in the library...we had
    everything from a large screamer that was velcoed to the wall, to a medium
    screamer that was reacting to sitting on a whoppee cushion. They took a whole
    semester to do, took up the entire room (I had 27 screamers going at once),
    and I had NO problem with kids taking these babies home at the end of the
    year!

    We used newspaper and hangers, tape, white glue and paper towels for the first
    3 layers, and white glue and old sheets for the last layer. We painted using
    acrylics, and varnished the last layer with polyurene.

    As for an art club activity...I would make sure they knew that their work
    would be displayed somewhere prominantly in the school. It is a lot of work,
    and I think kids would want to share it with the school. My gifted kids were
    amused that everyone in the school that the art classes did them.

    San D

    ---