Re: experience vs. cost

From: KSchiavo00
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 13:10:06 PDT

    Been there! Subbed for seven years (told I was a Great sub too!) before I got my first job. Worked with many "student teachers" during those years who ended up getting hired as art teachers before me. I have a BFA in Design and a MSED in Curriculum & Instruction. I have been told my portfolio is beautiful w/several professional recognitions and 7-10 pieces of original artwork both from personal and student collections. Most of my work and my student's work is documented in a "slide" format. In Illinois, thats how art portfolios are designed but here in Michigan, universities promote pictures (5x7's or larger). I was 41 years old before I got my first full time teaching position. I was just about to say *uck it! I really do think there was a lot of politics involved. Sometimes they wouldn't even call me for the "preliminary" interview. Checked my file with districts and loads of great evaluations were in my file -but they still wouldn't grant me an interview! I am no!
    t a graduate of the "local" Universities however and I was told they give preference to local graduates. NOT FAIR (when your not a LOCAL). Anyway I interviewed two years in a row for the middle school position I currently have. They were going through Art teachers left and right. For two years I have recieved "superb" evaluations. Hang in there! There are many like you and me. I would like to say it was worth the wait but I can't -cause your always the low man on the totem pole -often with more experience than those with more seniority. Just remember, we are not in this for the money.
    Kathy in Kalamazoo

    ---