Screamers--time frame & other scheduling questions

From: sharonbk
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 09:18:01 PDT

    From what I've read on this list, it seems that Screamers take several weeks--and up to a semester--to make. As I'm trying to block out my projects for this coming school year (with HS students), I'm wondering if this could be done in a trimester? (Right off hand, I'm not sure how many weeks each trimester will be--we're switching to that this year...)

    Due to the small size of my school and the way students are put into each period regardless of their art level (I'll have Art I, II, and III students all together) I'm trying to come up with projects that will be fun, meaningful, challenging--and new!--for all of them.

    At this point I'm thinking of starting the year with portfolio-making (as I did last year) which took approximately 2 weeks (they did some really cool portfolios, by the way) and then doing drawing in both pencil and ink during the first trimester. (One goal is to create a calendar for our school, featuring student artwork....)

    We'll have a 2-week mini-mester between Thanksgiving and Christmas (during which we'll teach 2 entirely different courses--I'll do something with computer art, I think, for one of the classes) and then we'll have a week to start the 2nd trimester before the Christmas break. I'm thinking of devoting the 2nd trimester to sculpture (Screamers with peripheral sculpture projects available--carving and wood construction), and then the last trimester for painting.

    Does this make sense?

    Some of my advanced students may be allowed to work by contract (I tried this last year and it worked well) if they're highly motivated and have specific goals in mind....

    I'll also have at least one class of 5th, 6th, and 7th graders--some of whom will have been through my class last year, so I'll be doing all new projects with them, too. Last year we did a variety of multicultural projects (the Egyptian unit was the most popular!). This year I'd like to continue with that and also do a few longer-term projects. Still thinking about this....

    Anyhow, I'm wide open to suggestions. I've got free-rein re: what I do and how I do it so I'd love to get some feedback from some of you veteran teachers! (And I'm already starting to check out your websites!!)

    Sharon
    EMAIL: artrageous
    AIM: SKBK56, ArtrageousSBK, & others

    ---