re: newspaper uses

From: Terry Mead (renmead)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 06:06:57 PDT

    Around San Francisco, "the little man" is famous. The San Francisco
    Chronicle Datebook section uses a small cartoon like character to rate
    movies. He ranges in five different positions from clapping wildly and
    jumping out of his chair when he really likes something to snoring and being
    asleep when he doesn't. Most kids in the area are aware of him, so I
    introduce art criticism to my intermediate school students by displaying his
    blown-up image and talking about his function in the paper. There is lots of
    animation when 6th graders talk about there reaction to him and whether they
    agree with his reviews. I've seen reports of him making personal appearances
    (a full sized stuffed costume in pink and black worn by a human -the Sunday
    Datebook section is printed on pink paper). Everybody loves the little man!
    and it is a nice hook into reviewing.
    Lois Mead
    Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School
    Moraga, Ca