Re: Portfolio and Assessment (Mark/Sky)

From: Jane Altshuler (jane)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 22:59:15 PDT

    "What has become of all
    the "refrigerator art"? "

    I am in total agreement that work has to be sent home regularly, and I come to
    this from the viewpoint of a parent who is an artist and art teacher. My kids
    had art three times a week for this entire year, and I didn't see anything until
    the last day of school. What came home was appalling. There were about 4 things
    in my daughter's portfolio - crayon drawings (she's 10) and a painting, and a few
    drawings of fashions which she does ad nauseum at home. If this represents a
    whole year of work I have to ask what this teacher was doing because it wasn't
    teaching art. Maybe she didn't send it home because she didn't want anyone to
    make any noise. How would you feel if you never saw any tests or essays or any
    schoolwork until the last day of school? I like to discuss my kids' work with
    them because I feel I am part of the educational process, and because my kids
    work hard and take great pride in their work.

    ---