Re: Newspaper in Art Education

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema-state.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 04:06:31 PDT

    Dear Dennis,

            Whenever an article appears that deals with the world of art, I
    will clip it, mount it on some construction paper and share with some
    classes. Then I post it in the hallway on my arts bulletin tack strip. The
    Columbus Dispatch has an extensive Newspaper in the Classroom program for
    schools and the newspaper publishes a children's section and Arts section
    each week. Sometimes we get great discussions going on some current event.
    Several years ago I read about that fire hose "incident" at the Met in NYC.
    Someone kept sneaking in and putting a title card on it. Does that make
    something "art?" We had a lively debate going on. PS As I understand it,
    the Met gave up and let the title card remain. Anybody know the current
    status? Speaking of the MMA, there is a TV movie based on a novel called
    "From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil F "---I forget the rest of the funny
    name at the moment. It starred Lauren Bacall. If it is available on video,
    it would be a good summertime viewing and reading for you folks on the
    list.
            I save the Sunday color comics to teach a lesson on grid enlarging
    and Benday dots (a la Roy Lichtenstein) to my fifth graders. Depending on
    the orignal size, the students can choose to enlarge 4 times or 8 times the
    size.We use marker tips for dots. The third graders learn to use the
    ruler for measuring a political cartoon and making a grid copy same size.
    They get to change and or add features to their version after copying the
    essential parts of the original.
            Other uses for newspaper--covering tables, papier mache, stuffing
    paper bags for masks....

    |How do you use the newspaper in art class?
    |
    |Dennis Morris

    Ann Heineman.....aheinema-state.edu
    Greensview School....Upper Arlington City Schools
    (614)487-5050 ... Voice Mail 487-6456 Box 522

    ---