Dentists

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 07:28:15 PDT

    > my best friend is a great dentist because
    > she started throwing clay in the 9th grade and art metals in high school and
    > never stopped. The hand-skills and materials part of dental school were a
    > breeze for her, and she still makes art too.

    Every dentist I have ever been to had some art training or is an art
    hobbyist. I'm trying to figure the connection. It doesn't go both ways.
    The last thing I want to do with my hands is put them in someone's mouth,
    ooooh maybe there are other places.

    Betty -
    I go back and forth with hand skills being replaced by easy technology. I'm
    starting a new computer lab at the high school, but I'm being careful about
    just how much is being done in the elementary and middle school art
    programs. We have required computer classes at the middle school and I
    don't think they need more in the art room. Kids need that hand stuff. When
    the most they do with their fingers today is punch the remote control and
    cell phone buttons, I want them to "feel" materials and control the tools.

    Patty

    ---