Art Education Student Links-useful methods(long)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:57:47 -0500

Artedsusan wrote:

> Isn't there some way that you could have the students teach the
> lessons to actual students. Even if they worked in a team and a few of them
> developed the lesson and taught it would seem more beneficial.

I had an INCREDIBLY useful art education class when I was in undergrad
at Wayne State University in Detroit 10 years ago. "Saturday Art School"
was our pre-student teaching experience. We worked in teams of 4 or 5,
prepared a ten week DBAE drawing and painting curriculum and wrote
lesson plans, created examples and visual aids, and then presented our
lessons to real students in grades 3 through 12 who registered for the
classes through the university at enough cost to cover the art supplies.
The children came each Saturday morning for the 10-week period each Fall
from about 9:00 to noon. They were divided into grade level groups of
3-4, 5-6, 7-8, and high school. We had to be there earlier of course to
set things up, including video cameras. We took turns presenting the
lessons assisting in the presentation, and videotaping them. The classes
were limited to 25 students (almost always had waiting lists) and each
of us on the team took responsibility for five or six students to
monitor and assist in production activities following the presentation.
One of the 10 sessions was devoted to a field trip to the nearby Detroit
Institute of Arts. Each of us student teachers were responsible for
leading our students on a tour focusing on works of art that related to
our lessons. Parents of the students were encouraged to attend this
session.
After the kids were gone and the rooms/equipment/supplies were cleaned
up, we met under our wonderful professor's guidance, to view and analyse
the videos of our teaching - oh! the pain and anguish of it all! There
were also written assignments, and a culminating paper in which we
described, analysed and evaluated our experience, and evaluated the
teaching of our peers. What an excellent introduction to practical
experience in art education! I have never heard of another art teacher
preparation course like this one. Pity.
Linda in Michigan

> <<<snip>>>
> In a message dated 1/22/99 3:05:54 PM, grex writes:
>
> <<In
> a couple of weeks I will take them to "Mac" lab and have them research some
> material for the lesson plans they will each teach to the other class members.
> They will write a lesson plan, prepare demonstration materials (models,
> visuals, etc), and teach. As this semester is Art Activities II, directed at
> the concerns of secondary students, their lesson will directed to the class as
> if they are Art I.>>

  • Reply: Henry Taylor: "Re: Art Education Student Links-useful methods(long)"
  • Reply: RWilk85411: "Re: Art Education Student Links-useful methods(long)"
  • Reply: Gail1611: "Re: Art Education Student Links-useful methods(long)"