Enlarging

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ray Thorne (rtarts)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:51:47 -0800 (PST)

To Jean G.

There is a method that I have used with my students. It really gets
across the idea of mapping, gridding and enlarging. Take a small art
print and cut it into as many pieces as you have students, marking
each piece with a number consecutively. Now have the student take
that piece and mark it off in 1/4" segments (or larger if the print is
big enough). The next step is to give them a larger piece of
proportionate paper, and mark this off in a larger unit of
measurement. Now they can copy each part onto the larger piece of
paper. Once all the students have their part done, they can put the
whole thing together on a wall. It is a very strong visual effect.
You can do the project in any medium.

rtarts

---artsednet-digest <owner-artsednet-digest> wrote:

> artsednet-digest Saturday, January 30 1999 Volume 02 :
Number 1199

> This edition includes :
> job information
> Re: Cave Art
> Re: art lesson plans on the web
> Penny Wallace
> Picasso film, I found it!
> RE: too much tempera, etc.
> caribbean unit
> uses for scraps
> Re: Too much tempra
> "Link Crew" WORKS!
> Re: Too much tempra
> Re: Whoa Right brainers!
> Millenium Celebration
> Happy to be back!
> Im glad to be back!
> Re: Happy to be back!
> Re: Millenium Celebration
> Re: Cave Art
> Re: Millennium Celebration
> Comp. programs for the middle level
> (no subject)

> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:15:44 -0500 (EST)
> From: William Storz <wstorz>
> Subject: job information
>
> Dear All,
>
> I am an art educator, having taught here in South Carolina for
> seven years. My family and I are ready to relocate, and I need good
> information on job prospects. I understand that SC has a higher than
> average demand, nationally speaking. Are there any websites which
target
> art ed jobs? Are there any states/regions which have a current general
> need for art educators? I have tried Career Path and some NEA state
sites,
> without much luck. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Thea Storz
>

> - ---------------
>
> William Storz wstorz
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:58:15 -0700
> From: Lindy Flynn <lflynn.az.us>
> Subject: Re: Cave Art
>
> Dear Folks, just wanted to put a plug in for the Aboriginal cave art
> which is MUCH older than the caves in France. I think almost 40,000
> years to Laceaux's 24,000. National Geographic has a recent video (in
> our school system) on Australian Aborigines and it has wonderful
images
> of the cave paintings (and the people). Maybe viewing that or some of
> the online sites may inspire a different approach. If I remember
> correctly their cave paintings had more pattern and line. And their
> artwork is often a sort of spiritual map of the land they hold
sacred.
> Anyway....good luck and HAVE A SWELL WELCOME ALL!!
> Lindy Flynn, Coconino High School, Flagstaff, AZ
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:54:32 EST
> From: Olejarz2
> Subject: Re: art lesson plans on the web
>
> Hi,
>
> Many thanks to those of you who sent me urls.
>
> I have posted a first draft of the art lessons on the web page at:
> <A
HREF="http://www.ridgewood.k12.nj.us/WWW/BF/test/artlinks.html">Art
Links
> for Art Educators</A>
> http://www.ridgewood.k12.nj.us/WWW/BF/test/artlinks.html
>
> If anyone has additional links for the page please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Harold
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:09:23 -0700
> From: Lindy Flynn <lflynn.az.us>
> Subject: Penny Wallace
>
> Dear Folks, A friend of mine teaches art up in the northwest and her
> name is Penny Wallace. Do any of you know her? Penny are you on
> ArtsEd??? She was very knowledgeable regarding DBAE.
>
> Plus think she'd get a kick that I'm teaching art now.
>
> (and that was Have a swell WEEKEND! have been a little sick this week)
>
> Love, Light and La;-)ghter
> Lindy Flynn, Coconino High School
> Flagstaff, AZ
> where it is warming up today and the sun shines on the gorgeous
> San Francisco Peaks
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:18:47 PST
> From: "Pat Bainbridge" <pat_bainbridge>
> Subject: Picasso film, I found it!
>
> I found the film in my basement by the ironing board?! I must not
have
> ironed for years! Anyway I'll tke it to the Librarian and see if we
can
> copy it on Vhs and if it comes out OK I'll send a copy to the poster
> that wanted it...

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:29:23 -0500
> From: "Stephanie Ignazio" <smi>
> Subject: RE: too much tempera, etc.
>
> Hi all, I've been having computer e-mail problems, so I've missed a
few days
> of messages. The cave art is one I haven't attempted yet but am
looking
> around to see if I've jotted anything down. I do remember seeing
something
> about the kids working together to paint the inside of a
cave...(really a
> box) with images of animals. I think the more basic you keep it the
better
> it may work. Ann, if you wnat that lesson..let me know. The lots of
tempera
> message from Amanda: MURALS!!! They are the funnest!!! I do under
the sea
> murals, Egyptian murals, Welcome to the farm murals (kind of folk
art),
> anything can be "muralized' and the kids enjoy it. During my student
> teaching I did a uniton the body with my 2nd graders. I came in
dressed like
> i was going to the beach with a towel and everything. I made them
visualize
> that we were getting on a plane, etc. When we landed we headed
straight for
> the beach. I took them through a few basic movements of yoga that
> corresponded to body movements that you would see at the
beach..swimming,
> jumping, etc. They then worked in small groups and traced each other
onto
> big mural paper in those poses. We painted ourselves, added a fun
outfit,
> collaged with found materials that went with the beach theme and it
was
> fabulous! Some kids in the groups did all under water, so they were
> swimming, others were onland doing things. The kids had a great
time. If you
> want the exact lesson...e-mail me and I'll send you a copy. You
could also
> do really large masks. I did ones with my 5th graders that were
about three
> feet high. (That took alot of papier mache and alot of paint) But it
was
> great. My advice..think big and think different artists who paint
large.
> Good luck! Stephanie
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:21:40 -0500
> From: "Stephanie Ignazio" <smi>
> Subject: caribbean unit
>
> Hi everyone,
> I think I have teacher - cabin - fever! I have really been focusing
alot on
> the upcoming vacation..especially the one in April, when I hope to
be on
> some tropical island. I suddenly got bit with the bug of developing
a unit
> about the caribbean for my fourth graders. We have been doing alot
with the
> use of color this year and I think it would be a perfect transition.
I would
> like to address all aspects of this culture..the masks of carnival
of course
> are an obvious choice and I think we'll do them with plaster, but I
am also
> interested in sculpture, paintings, etc. Any thoughts or ideas? I
was just
> logged into masks.org, what a great site. The maps were a little
confusing
> but some of the links were very helpful. Let me know. OOHH, I am so
excited!
> (If I can't get to the beach at least I can play the music!) That
reminds me
> if you know of any great caribbean steel drum or calypso music that
would go
> with this unit let me know. Thanks, Stephanie
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:41:47 -0500
> From: "Litesal" <Litesal>
> Subject: uses for scraps

> - ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BE4BB7.0673BFE0
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> O.K. I asked you how to store the scraps....now does anyone have
some =
> inventive uses for the mounds of paper scraps? I use them for the
usual =
> collage type activities, but what else? Any eeeeeeeasy paper making =
> ideas (I know this was discussed at length last summer)....papier
mache =
> recipes (the kind you can model and mold, with paper pulp)...other =
> ideas? Also, any thoughts about using the tons of peeled crayon
bits =
> I've been saving for three years (besides encaustic, which has been =
> discussed).

=== message truncated ===