Re: New Job Writing Sample, Help!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:44:50 -0500 (EST)

I'll check with English teacher buddies, but I remember taking a test
years ago to get a Reader's position with the Pgh Public Schools. I
couldn't teach full time with my little children so I wanted something to
do at home. The pay was decent, but there were over 300 test takers for 20
positions. I did this. I took a 9th grade grammar text from the 9th grade
teacher and read it cover to cover to refresh my grammar and punctuation
skills. She gave me some tips on essay writing. I would be sure that when
you get the question, you take a few minutes to outline your answer and
give a good opening, cite specific examples and if it is more than one
paragraph, use transition sentences between paragraphs. Organize before
you write and the writing will go easier than if you ramble on like I'm
doint now! Give yourself some room on the paper (unless there a rules) for
revision if possible. Perhaps leave double spacing. I'll ask around and
get back to you. Fran