Re: rude kids/labels (my soapbox!)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MCALLANILO
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:11:26 EST

In a message dated 1/27/99 6:04:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gregjuli writes:

> But I think we have to look at the bigger picture. While the parents are at
> work
> and the kid is unsupervised what are they doing? We all know what is on
the
> tube
> these days. TV is filled with sarcasm and attitudes. And this is what our
> dear
> students bring to school with them everyday. Parents can be part of the
> problem,
> but there is a whole lot more out there affecting our students
And also we now have the internet to deal with. LOL.

While sarcasm and attitude are nothing new, I agree that it is far more
accessible to younger audiences these days. I don't mind a little sarcasm in
a student when it is directed at me in a playful manner, but it gripes me when
they dig at each other mercilessly. And some kids just don't know when being
a smart ass turns into being a pain in the ass. (For example, this week I was
telling kids to wrap their clay projects in wet paper towels and one kid tore
off a piece that was obviously too small. He showed it to me and asked if it
was big enough. "Bigger," I said, failing to acknowledge his sarcasm. He
then tore off another piece of paper towel that was about half the size and
asked me again. I gave the same response. The third time, I took him aside
and pointed out that he was being a smart aleck. He seemed to get the message
. . . I think.)

The fact is, some parents will never get involved with their kid's education.
For twenty five years now, I have heard my dad talk about how some parents
expect schools to do everything except potty train their kids. Where I think
we have lost out is on the middle of the road parents, the ones who might get
ivolved if asked, the ones who may be interested but are unsure of what they
have to offer . . .

Still, I have no easy answers.

mcallan