Re: Creative Arts in Learning

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:37:25 -0500

Stephanie Ignazio wrote:

> Hi to all, well I just finished my first entire weekend of graduate >school.
> My program is called Creative Arts in
> Learning and to put in briefly is a program that looks at how to >create
> curriculum that incorporates all the art modalities..visual, movement,
> music, poetry, drama and storytelling. In this program we will look at >how
> to integrate our very important subject of art into other curriculum >that
> exists out there in the "rest of the school". We also talk about the
> theories of multiple intelligences. Any thoughts on that?
Well Yes,
Although I don't have a certificate to teach art or a masters
degree I can recommend Howard Gardner, and at the moment might I
suggest his book, "Art and Mind". It would be appropriate for
discussion with your class. The end of the book has a fascinating
section on brain damage and the breakdown of the mind( especially in
the interpretation of art). I do so like John Dewey but I think
Howard Gardner picks up where he left off. I wish there were more
discussion in this group of how we as a whole could change society
and school through the methods of teaching. Why hasn't there been
implementation of change in the school to include multiple
intelligence in testing in practice and in teaching?
The fascinating focus in this book is the discussion of creativity
through many aspects-Child/adult-Genius/Brain damage. The beginning
is a look at Piaget,Chomsky and a discussion by Levi Strauss(not of
pants fame-Ha Ha). I think even if you are not an educator or an
artist it is also beneficial for self growth to be aware and read
the works(although many) of both Howard gardner and John dewey- Both
also wrote with art intertwined. Anyone else want to jump in with a
recommendation- perhaps just taking time to look at the section in
art before the artists- Look on the bookshelf just prior and there
is a world of biographies by artists/critics/agents/psychologist and
their interpretation of art and society( which if I'm not mistaken
is a Dewey title).
(Not accredited but can still read- although extremely! slowly!)
Sandra Barrick
astroboy