Art appreciation & Sister Wendy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:41:35 -0500

MCALLANILO wrote:

> In a message dated 1/24/99 9:04:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, KPRS
> writes:
>
> > This
> > controversy is not of my origin, but of art 'scholars', I am just passing
> > the comment on to those who might find Sister Wendy definitive.
> >
> You raise a good point about the reliability of criticism. I would, in fact,
> extend such skepticism to Gardner, Kenneth Clark, Jansen, Encyclopedia
> Brittannica, Getty and any other source you might name. Kids need to learn
> that to look to several different sources for their information.
> Back in the fifties, it was Vincent Price, who was so popular that
> Sears and Roebuck introduced the Vincent Price series of fine art >lithographs which they sold through their catalog.

> We need all of the Sister Wendy's we can get.
>
> marc

I like Sister Wendy's enthusiasm. Vincent Price started collecting
art when he was a teenanger and has (had) one of the finest
collections. In response to the vein of prehistoric art and it
appears art history, I would use them in a lesson of art
appreciation. It seems much more reasonable to show the history but
maybe best called an art appreciation course.
Sandra

--
john barrick
http://home.fuse.net/astroboy