Re: Prehistoric Art and Sister Wendy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MCALLANILO
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:36:44 EST

In a message dated 1/24/99 11:05:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jaugusta writes:

> Nice intent, but since you don't provide students with actual proof
> that's she's mistaken--best to explain that all art criticism comes down
> to a question of personal preference based upon experience or academic
> investigation.
are we cutting the legs out from under DBAE with this philosophy?

Is this truly the case? Is art purely subjective? or does it merely touch on
some areas where judgement is subjective? Just as it is with any other
language, Art, as a visual language, does have its objective components (ie.,
how various elements of art work: line, shape , color, space, composition, .
. .).

I just think we have to use these more concrete aspects of art as a
cornerstone for art education, not just in the student's best interest, but in
the interest of legitimizing art in the public school curriculum. No school
board or state board of education is going to seriously buy into a subject
where everything is up to individual taste and judgement.

I am not suggesting the abandonment of the subjective or the affective or
expressive apsects of the visual arts. I would never suggest that. But as
art educators, we are also public promoters of the arts in our own
communities, and from where I am standing it looks like the arts, while they
aren't down for the count, have certainly hit the mat pretty hard.

All of us know that art is both a legitimate and necessary subject in our
public schools. Realistically, however, there are a good many parents,
administrators, school board members, and legislators who do not see it that
way. The way I see it, there are only two groups of people who can convince
the nay-sayers--us and our students.

mcallan