Re: Prehistoric Art and Sister Wendy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MCALLANILO
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:02:49 EST

In a message dated 1/24/99 9:04:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, KPRS
writes:

> This
> controversy is not of my origin, but of art 'scholars', I am just passing
> the comment on to those who might find Sister Wendy definitive.

You raise a good point about the reliability of criticism. I would, in fact,
extend such skepticism to Gardner, Kenneth Clark, Jansen, Encyclopedia
Brittannica, Getty and any other source you might name. Kids need to learn
that to look to several different sources for their information. They may not
need to know the intricacies of scholarly debate, but it is certain that their
own research will be richer as they incorporate more sources.

Every few years, someone comes along who becomes a popular media guide to the
arts. Kenneth Clark, with his "Civilization" series on PBS. Now, it's Sister
Wendy. Back in the fifties, it was Vincent Price, who was so popular that
Sears and Roebuck introduced the Vincent Price series of fine art lithographs
which they sold through their catalog.

I don't think the sole purpose of Sister Wendy is to engage junior high
students in accurate academic discourse, but rather to arouse and maintain
their interest in the visual arts.

We need all of the Sister Wendy's we can get.

marc