Impt. web site for Forwarded warnings and chain letters

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
S. Henneborn (heneborn)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:25:48 -0600

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ Home page/security management
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html Hoaxes page
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACChainLetters.html Chain letter page

Please bookmark this and take time to check it out.

This web site is very good for checking out the validity of any scary warnings
or humanitarian appeals to send to soooooooo many people and some company will
donate etc. There is also a short tutorial explaining how to detect a hoax
for yourself.
1. A virus doesn't come through e-mail. (attachments are another story,
read abt. on web site)
2 The contributors have no way of tracking e-mail in order to make a contribution.
3. For a hoax to work there will be a reference to a believable source like
Walt Disney Jr. No such person but, "Who Knew?" The CIAC did.

There are reliable organizations that track these things. It is easy to be
taken in because these hoaxes are not written by dummies. For instance the
story about the Gang initiation and head lights. That was sent to me by a
patrolman friend on the California Highway Patrol. All the time that good
caring people were sending it around the country, it had been checked out and
confirmed as a hoax by this web site team. They checked with law enforcement
all over the US and no instances of this initiation had been reported any
where in the US. In the meantime law enforcement and bus companies, etc. were
warning their drivers.

Please BOOKMARK and make use of this available source before sending on to
this list. I wonder if it should be required reading before becoming a
member. I remember how I reacted when I was first learning to email and one
of those dire warnings come onto my screen.

Sharon from NJ