Re: Holocaust Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Roy Winkelman (winkelma.edu)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 16:24:41 -0500

"Gary D. LaTurner" wrote:

> For study of the Holocaust and an art integration, the books Maus I and
> Maus II are very inspirational.

Gary,

Thanks for reminding me about Maus! An even better resource is the
CD, "The Complete Maus." This CD contains both Maus books plus
several hours of audio commentary by the artist along with hundreds of
sketches used in the process of creating the "comicbook-style" books.

Here's a quote from the CD box:

"The Complete Maus CD-ROM grants the user unprecedented access
to the historical and structural details behind the finished book. The
pages of Maus are linked to preliminary sketches, alternate drafts,
archival photographs, and drawings made by prisoners and audio from
the interviews between Art Spiegelman and his father that were the basis
for the narrative. In addition, there is QuickTime video and audio of
Art Spiegelman discussing the making of Maus, and critical
commentary on the form, ideas, and history behind this powerful,
groundbreaking work."

I hadn't looked at this CD in awhile. I'd forgotten how well it covered
all our history/criticism/aesthetic/production bases in one fell swoop.
Art teachers who like to make connections with other subject areas
might want to talk with their social studies colleagues about doing a
Maus unit. Most history texts are written so that the Holocaust comes
up in March or April. This would be a great way to collaborate with
the history teacher without compromising our art objectives. The CD
is available from EduCorp ( http://www.educorp.com ) for $36.99

Roy Winkelman
Director, Florida Center for Instructional Technology
University of South Florida

  • Reply: Debi13: "Re: Re: Holocaust Art"