Re: compasses.....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Artedsusan
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:15:52 EST

Thank you! I knew there would be compass knowledge out there. Bunki, you
should write a book or something. Maybe a title with "what every art teacher
should know"! I'll add the master compasses to my wish list, and keep an eye
out for the goniometers and will give them a try too. Today I told one of my
four 5th grade classes that I was sorry that the compasses seemed to difficult
for them and they said 'no they're not' and actually started to get it! ha!
I really meant that I was pushing them too much. Guess I wasn't pushing
enough. Susan in Michigan

In a message dated 1/21/99 12:18:00 AM, bkramer.us writes:

<<..........The 5th grade
>might end up doing something like this too if they get too frustrated with
the
>compasses. By the way, if anyone knows how to tighten up loose compasses,
let
>me know.
>Good luck, Susan in Michigan.
***********

Hi, Susan...and anyone else who might be using those frustrating little
metal compasses. Pay the $$$ and get yourself a "good" set of master
compasses from NASCO which will last FOREVER. They run about $1.85 or so
each and if you order 36 at once, they're cheaper. I've had the same set
for almost 9 yrs. now. I made a compass-holder out of a block of wood from
the woodshop room. It has 72 holes to fit the compasses in. I can see at a
glance if they are all there before the students leave. Master compasses
are the only kind of compasses which allows you to put an overhead pen in
it, an exacto knive, or markers also. It will allow you to use other-size
tools.

Toodles........

Bunki Kramer - Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Rd., Danville, California 94526
bkramer.ca.us...(sch)925-552-5620>>