Re: Special Visual Arts Programs for Low-Income Kids.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
freckles spots (freckles_spot)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:21:34 PST

I taught these type of children for three years. I learned alot about
them but I learned more about myself.

One point I would bring up is don't treat them any different than any
other kids. They are not in their situations because THEY want to be
there....they are there because of their parents...or lack of parents.

One of my goals when working with low income children (elementary) was
to constantly work on their low self esteem. I would do lessons where
there was no wrong way to complete it. Success was very important to
them.

I also tried to relate to their heritage. We had 97% African American
and 2% Hispanic. We studied several African American Artists and craft
persons. Help them to feel proud of who and what they are. The school
is probably the only constant thing in their lives.

I wish you luck. If you would like more specific ideas, email me and I
would be happy to help.

Good Luck....and keep a smile in your heart and on your face.
Judy in OK