art on the cart

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
GBWOLF
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:13:01 EST

Sandy and others:
I know what you're going through and although I have a room now, it could be
yanked at any time, if enough new students show up, and they need another
class room.

I got my room this year thanks to several of us threatening to file a
grievance. They eliminated a class room in first grade, and I was told it
would be mine...then they backtracked and said they needed it for Reading
Recovery. This program, while wonderful, is for one first grader and one
reading teacher at a time. We (mainly my fabulous co workers) convinced them
to put Reading Recovery in an unused office. Hurray - I got my art room.

I moved ALL OF MY STUFF into it before school got out last year, just so they
couldn't change their minds over the summer. People couldn't believe how much
stuff I had (since I was so streamlined for the cart, with things hiding in
storage all over the place).

As Reatha mentioned, I tend to be one of those teachers who adapts and doesn't
settle for less (I agree that if people were aware of what really went into it
and lived one week in our shoes the cart would be outlawed). We painted, we
carved, we did pariscraft, we did clay, we did all the stuff I would normally
do in an Art Room. Luckily I had a sink in every room. Being a visitor,
making a mess in another teacher room can be sticky sometimes.

I found these letters in my files...feel free to use them, adapt them, pass
them on as needed if they are helpful. Good luck in getting a space to call
your own and wish me luck in keeping mine for another year :)

-Becca

PRO's AND CON's of TWO DELIVERY SYSTEMS:
1. ART CART
teachers lose time...time consuming.
requires careful planning.
little or no display space w/i room.
storage is a problem...limits posibilities for 3D projects.
difficulties w/ paint and clay...no mess on the carpet.
small single sink or no sink.
one week projects.
names are easier to remember.
talking and discipline may or may not be easier because of
row seating and being in the children's home classroom.
your art rules might clash with the classroom teacher's rules.
2. ART ROOM
all the stuff is in one place.
there is a seperate special area for art activities.
storage and sinks are no problem.
continuous projects.
variety of projects/films/visuals/etc...
kids lose time because of travel.

Why do we need an Art Room at Antwerp Primary instead of having ART on the
CART?

-The classroom teacherís lose time in their classroom to prepare for future
lessons because there is a limit to how much effective planning can be done in
the faculty room.

-Being on the cart requires a lot of extra planning for the art
teacher...Every day I am scheduled to be on both floors of the building (a
class upstairs, then a class downstairs, then a class upstairs, etc...), and
grade levels are not scheduled back to back (teach all second grades
consecutively on the same letter day) which means on some days I have four
preps.

-Antwerp Primary has always had a part time art teacher (a shared position in
at least two buildings in the district, sometimes three). Moving between
buildings requires extra planning. I must have supplies prepared in both
buildings. I must bring plan books, supplies, art prints, etc...back and
forth throughout the week. I am also required to have bus duty in both
buildings.

-There is no display space within the regular classroom set aside for art
display. I cannot possibly do a bulletin board in every classroom teacherís
room, and traveling by cart limits my ability to carry all the visual
resources I would like to use for each lesson.

-Storage is a major problem... it limits the possibilities for 3D projects.
Wet paintings, clay projects, sculptures, prints, etc... must be dried in the
hall (a potential fire hazard).

-Since Antwerp has two floors, we must have a cart for each floor. There is
no storage
space available for the upstairs cart which must be left in the hall when not
in use ( a
potential fire hazard).

If Antwerp Primary had ART in the ART ROOM...

-All of the art supplies would be readily available to both the teacher and
the students which would provide time for the art teacher to create additional
art displays, do grades, plan lessons, cut paper, sort supplies, make copies,
provide extra help, offer extracurricular lessons to gifted students, etc...

-The students would place more value on art as a core subject because they
would know that there was a separate, special area for art activities.

-Storage would no longer be a problem.

-I would have more time which would in turn enable me to provide more
intensive, creative, interdisciplinary, in-depth art projects.

-I would be able to use a larger variety of resources: bulletin boards,
books, magazines, potterís wheel, easels, computers, films, slides, comparing
multiple art prints, videotapes, etc...

Respectfully submitted,

Art Teacher
Antwerp Primary

I wrote the following letter to all teachers the first year I taught art on
the cart: