Re: Copying in art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
nop62861 (teresatorreseca)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:28:54 +0100

In my very modernist initial training copying was a forbiden stratety.
People remembered the Academician education and did not to return to it.

After reading Goldstein, Effland or Brent Wilson i changed my "préjugés" .
I use copy as an artist, all artists implicitly or not have done this.
Gombrich was the first who refers that saying that art works are allways
refering the art history. Recently i was copying Picasso drawings because i
needed to reflect about human figure . It is not a "blind" copy but more a
kind of interpretation. It is a creative process because as Eisner have
defined Creativity it pushs and breakes boundaries, is a way to invente and
to organise objects /ideas aesthetical .
As a teacher i think it is a very good stategy to learn about art in the
four dimensions of art Knowledge .Students need to have examples , they need
to have references in order to follow their own way.
A lot of other good reasons for copying may be added. I hope the others in
the list will continue the discussion.

Best regards from Portugal
Teresa