RE: Oaxacan Wood Carvings

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:34:52 -0500

Last year my fifth graders made paper mache 'Oaxacan' animals. I set out
three large tubs of junk - yogurt cups, jello cups, margarine containers,
plastic lids, film canisters, egg cartons and so on and we spent two or
three class periods building the armatures.
Two periods for paper mache, a parent painted the white base coat during an
off period. Then we used acrylics (I just buy quarts of house paint). We
used brushes, marker tops (for circles), erasers (small dots) pencil points
(smaller dots). I have several examples in the room, and we used the book
Bunki mentioned. We also watched a video on crafts from Mexico - Oaxaca is
a region covered. They had to have three or four layers of color on some
areas.
A parent brushed on two coats of Tripp polyurethane - water soluble - low
odor - quick dry. They looked great! (One fifth grade teacher came with
her class each week and made one too - she has gone on to painting furniture
- I displayed her completed sculpture in the art show with her class'.)
Ellen