Re: painting on foil and other ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:02:21 -0800

Stephanie Ignazio wrote:

> I received in the mail today the new Crizmac
> catalog. Inside there are many exciting books, ideas, etc...of course all
> very expensive, and with my current school system's inability to purchase
> these items due to monetary concerns..the ability to purchase becomes my
> issue. I saw some
> interesting Haitian tin cutouts in the catalog. Has anyone ever done this? I
> have a ton of art foil..copper, aluminum. I am wondering if this can be
> painted with acrylic paints.

Stephanie,

My students have successfully aluminum foil with permanent markers; the
watercolor kind work okay, but not great. I got this idea from a great
presentation on masks at the NAEA Convention a few years back. Since the
dyes in the markers are transparent, they allow the shine of the foil to
come through.

Also, about your budget: Our school librarian BEGS us every year for
ideas of things to order for the following year. She's ordered me some
great videos, books, and slide sets, and was just last week commenting on
all the cool stuff in Crizmac (she had even marked a number of things she
wanted to order!) Check with your librarian; if you can let her know how
useful something would be in many different classes, s/he might go for
it.

Get well!

Maggie