painting on unstretched canvas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Marilyn Juda Orlandi (marilyn.juda)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:29:51 +0100 (MET)

Dear George,
Your contribution to the ARTSEDNET was like an answer to a question I wanted
to ask.

I have been asked to paint a banner depicting our town's patron saint for
our local church to be used in religious processions. The banner which will
be about 1.5 metres by 2 metres, will be carried in the processions
suspended from a wooden pole, and must be resistant to all kinds of weather
including rain. It will have an image on each side (I am planning on
doubling the material and then sewing the sides together after it is painted.

Can you advise me what kind of material to use (I thought cotton canvas) and
what to prime it with so that it remains flexible and won't crack when it
moves in the wind. I am planning on painting the images with acrylics as it
seems to me that that is the most durable. This banner will need to last a
long time, and will be used several times a year in processions. The last
banner they had was painted 50 years ago and is now very cracked and you can
hardly see the images anymore. I assume it was painted in oil on canvas.

I will be grateful for any advise you can give me. I am also sending a copy
of this to the ARTSEDNET and would appreciate receiving suggestions.

Thank you.
Ciao,
Marilyn Juda-Orlandi
Monte Porzio Catone, Italy