Sand sculptures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Judy Grochowski (jfgro)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:43:30 -0600 (CST)

>Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:35:55 +0000
>From: Christine Merriam <ktwnldy.az.us>
>To: artsednet.edu
>Subject: Sand sculptures

> I recall seeing one in a
>Mall somewhere.
> Does anyone know how they keep the sand together? I think it is a
>mixture of white glue, water, and sand.... Good alternative to snow
>sculptures. My district will even deliver the sand!
>Christine Merriam
>Kayenta Intermediate School

Christine, This year at a mall close by (Southridge, for you locals) there
was (and it is still standing, I believe) a Christmas tree sand sculpture
done by a couple of guys who called their organization Sculptors of America,
(they had a card, which I passed along to my co-worker who teaches sculpture
this year). Anyway I chatted with one of the guys and he told me they use
just fine sand, like you'd find at a playground and sculpt it damp, and
spray it with a fine mist of watered down white glue. He said it could stay
pretty stable that way, altho if someone wanted to vandalize it, that
wouldn't provide any protection. He also said the sand was so "clean" in
terms of the amt of glue used, that it could easily be recycled back to a
play ground, or on to the next project, so apparently they don't use much.
This particular sculpture is a good two stories tall and fairly wide, and I
think it's all just sand, I don't beieve there's an armature under it. They
had a card, as I say, and I'm certain it listed a website, but I just never
went there-now that I think about it perhaps I'll do some surfing. They
travel all over the country doing these installations....Has anyone else
seen their work? Quite impressive!!!
Judy Grochowski
Greenfield High
Greenfield Wisc