Re: clay lamps

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Delaney (edelaney)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:01:52 -0500

Wrap the metal tube in newspaper. Take the newspaper. Line it up with the
bottom of the tube. Wrapp to cover. Be very neat. Over lab the edges of
the newspaper on the side of the rube. Put a piece of tape on the outside
where the newspaper overlabs. Make sure no tape is sticking thenewspper to
the tube. Roll out you slab. Roll the tube acrross the slab. Line up
the bottom edge with a straight edge of the slab. As you roll make sure
the slab wraps around the roll. This is done with the roll on its side.
Attach, cut etc. the slab. You can now stand it up. Let dry to pre
leather hard. Take you hand and pull out the metal tube, or plastic, or
cardboard. The newspaper wasn't attachd to the tube. The tube slips right
out. If you want to attach a bottom you can also do that with the tube in.
After taking the tube out the piece still need to dry and become more firm
before handling. Good luck. also I put textures on the slab before
wrapping. Enola in Indiana

----------
> From: San D Hasselman <kprs>
> To: Fran Marze <fmaiu+@pitt.edu>
> Cc: Lynnzi; artsednet.edu
> Subject: Re: clay lamps
> Date: Sunday, January 17, 1999 4:33 PM
>
> You actually don't have to remove the paper, it burns out into ash, which
you then
> wash away...but you must have good ventillation!
>
> San D
>
> Fran Marze wrote:
>
> > Did you try using newspaper on the form before the clay? Thenyou could
> > gently pull out the news. I seem to remember doing this in college on a
> > large form but using wrapped newspaper. It did not crack. Fran
> >
> > On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 Lynnzi wrote:
> >
> > > A few months ago I wrote in about ideas for making a clay lamp.
Several