Re: Re paper sculpture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 01:01:44 -0500

I do a variation of this with first graders. Using strips of paper, I
show them how to make accordian folds, then spirals by wrapping strips
around a pencil, then Lily's technique using a 4x6" rectangle. Then they
make sculptures by glueing the forms to a small base of poster board. (I
use primary colors mounted on black p-board) While they are doing this I
suggest that they imagine they are only 1" tall and this is their
playground. They have a wonderful time with that idea. As an extension
of this, I introduce them to Alexander Calder's mobiles and the make
"What-cha-ma-calders" - hanging sculptures - two or three "clusters" of
these forms tied with yarn to a paper straw which I teach them to make.
Part of their problem is to balance the mobile by sliding the hanging
clusters along the straw. For these, I use secondary colors. They make a
striking hallway exhibit.
Linda in Mich