Re: Drape mold

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:05:09 -0800

One of the Colmans wrote:

> I have been experimenting with drape molds in my high school ceramics class.
> I made solid molds by filling plastic bowls with plaster. The students
> invert these and build a pot on the outside. They have been using
> embellished coil designs instead of a solid slab of clay to cover the mold.
> The problem is that by the time they finish ( it usually takes 3 to 4 class
> periods) it is very difficult to remove the pot. <snip> If we wait until it
> is closer to leather hard, it tends to crack. <snip>

You can try two things: 1) Cover the mold with paper 2-3 layers of paper
towels so the clay doesn't stick to the mold, and remove the pot--with
the towels--when it can hold its shape before it gets leather hard. Of
course, you will get an impression of the folds and edges of the towels.
2) Add your coils to the _inside_ of a bowl or other form you like the
shape of (Chinet bowls work well). As long as the clay isn't too soft,
it won't stick to the form, and won't crack as it shrinks.

Maggie