Re: Drape mold

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Delaney (edelaney)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:42:54 -0500

Have you tried plastic wrap on the outside so that the inside moisture is
absorbed into the plaster? That way the inside is drying befor the
outside. This way it releases easier. You can also put plastic wrap inside
of a bowl or pan spray. we do this project often. Balloon pots ia another
project. It is hard to get it to dry evenly but when the studens are
finished they really ubderstand the caly drying process. Some (one ore 2)
never catch on. This is a fun project but they have to had made 3 or 4
other projects befor beginning this one. I teach high school ceramics.
wehave 4 semesters of ceramics. Enola in Indiana

----------
> From: One of the Colmans <colmans1>
> To: artsednet.edu
> Subject: Drape mold
> Date: Saturday, January 16, 1999 12:55 PM
>
> I have been experimenting with drape molds in my high school ceramics
class.
> I made solid molds by filling plastic bowls with plaster. The students
> invert these and build a pot on the outside. They have been using
> embellished coil designs instead of a solid slab of clay to cover the
mold.
> The problem is that by the time they finish ( it usually takes 3 to 4
class
> periods) it is very difficult to remove the pot. The pot seems to really
> stick to the mold when the clay is still fairly moist. If we wait until
it
> is closer to leather hard, it tends to crack. I realize that the clay is
> shrinking and that is why it's cracking, but I don't know when the
optimum
> time is to remove the pot. Are the kids presing onto the mold too
tightly
> when they construct their coil designs? Also, has anyone found any
> interesting containers to make molds out of that are a bit different from
> the traditional bowl? I'd like to be able to do platters etc. Thanks!
Marian