Re: Getting kids to turn in Art Projects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:16:24 -0500

Sandra Poos wrote:
> I teach Art on the elementary level, once a week for 40 minutes. I >havea hard time keeping kids informed of what they have and haven't >turned in for the quarter. I post a chart from the computer, which >shows the grade they have received for the project and a (o), if it >hasn't beenturned in.
> HELP!!! Any great ideas!!
> Sandy Poos, Elem. Art 1st to 6th, Cahokia, Dist.#187, Cahokia.IL

HI, I'm not criticizing but I'm curious is it common practice to use
this system in 1st through 6th? I would like anyone's opinion. I was
doing K-8th for 2 years and all though it was generally DBAE
approached and not formal art classes, I never did this. Of course
there were only 120 students tops in the whole school. We generally
stuck with learning basic fundamental elements of art. So that's my
question. What age are you having them turn it in, and can't you see
what they do while they are working? How do they leave class without
handing stuff in? How do you collect supplies? I had every piece of
art supplies turned in and never had a big problem(except 3rd grade
boys) with not finishing in the allowed time. I'd always let the few
continue- they seemed to beg for more work period. Just a question
don't get mad.

Sandra Barrick
astroboy