African animals

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ckart (ckupcin)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:38:37 -0600

Amanda wrote:

>Hi, I am looking for information about the personification of animals in
>african culture. A story or folktale that describes animals with human
>characteristics or qualities. Does this information even exist?

Yes, African proverbs are a wonderful source of one-liners, wisdom, and
humor that often inspire visual imagry as well:

"Rain beats a leopard's skin but does not wash out the spots."
"When the mouse laughs at the cat, there is a hole nearby."
and, "You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

The above are from the book: "African Proverbs," by Charlotte Leslau. New
York, Peter Payeer Press, 1962.

Some other books where you might find what you are seeking:
"Why Mosquitoes Buss in People's Ears"
"Beat the Story Drum, Pum-Pum"
"The Cow-tail Switch and other West African Stories"
"The Tortoise and the Tree"
"African Mythology"
"The Kings Drum and other African Stories"
Hope this helps.

Cheryl