Re: sculpture lovers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:18:54 -0500 (EST)

I had good luck with sand blocks as carving media. My students who used
them had good results for the most part and reallyenjoyed the media. I
found them in Nasco catalog but I heard there are some other resources. I
also had some luck doing some pop art sculptures using foam give aways
from carpet places, fabric, glue guns, fill etc. I took a workshop with a
group of students with Peter Calaboyas, a Pgh sculptor and nationally
known for his Olympic (Atlanta) sculpture. We did plasticene relief in
shoe box , poured plaster into that for a negative mold, then used
vaseline (I think) and poured a positive mold onto that one. You end up
with a negative of your original and a positive
Can be painted, rub and buffed? or whatever. Your question got me thinking
about doing this in class again; haven't thought of it for awhile. I also
love doing wire sculpture with a variety of wire. I do this with ARt I and
depending on the students use variety of gauges from twistee to
armature!STovepipe wire can be spray painted for an even color. Last year
one of my freshman students won a gold key at Scholastics REgional for her
cat done with stovepipe and spray painted evenly black and then mounted on
a wood base.
some of the successful pop art sculptures were a portable radio all sewn,
a box of simulated MCDonald's fries done in red satin for the box, a
banana split, (from memory) Also have used soapstone-a little harder. I
remember using firebrick in college but it makes incredible dust! Nice
final results but definitely need to work either outside as we did or with
dust masks and lots of ventilation.

Wood assemblages al a Louise Nevelson. Haven't done this extensively--the
kids aren't usualy into it so it's a hard sell, but would like to try. Our
elementary teacher had a visiting artist who worked with first and second
graders and did something like this but with paper or cardboard, I think.
She offered it to us to display; it'[s in storage. I would like to do
something but my room is falling apart. With the snow, etc. I have a huge
hole in the ceiling and water leaks, the floor is steaming from some
underground pipes that need to be fixed. So I don't want to add anymore
pieces that might get ruined just yet.

Also, I had some students do paper sculpture and one girl did one all in
white a music theme with flutes, music sheet, etc. Great job. I've seen
beautiful paper masks done at our middle school with seventh/eighth
graders with fadelss.

What about sand relief? Using wet sand in a base and pouring a plaster
mold? Also, a colleague who teaches crafts does layered wood animals that
are neat as well as intarsia wood if you have access to band saws and a
sander. Good luck, Fran. We have no school today =in the middle of ice
storm, etc. So doing email and cleaning.