Gyotaku

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kerin Allen (kallen.edu)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:01:55 -0700

Sandra,
I love fish printing! I have even used it for a birthday party for
adults. Talk about hilarious responses but lots of fun! The recipient
was totally surprised and loved it!
I also use it in my watercolor workshop series with gouache. Such a
fun surprise to paint a fish instead of paper! They use one side until
it is too stained then flip it over and do the other (time allowing).
If the fish has a reusable side, I refreeze it for another round.
I use 'Talapia' which is raised at a local fish farm although I
order them through the Super KMart nearby. These have beautifully
defined scales and fins. I prefer a 5-6 incher so they fit on a clean
meat tray (easy to transport). I freeze them, obviously, but put them
in the refrigerator the night before the event to defrost the exterior
so the scales are well defined.
I stuff rolled paper towelling all around it to stabilize the main
body and support the fins and tail, spread out like fans. Another
teacher recommended that I also stuff cotton balls into the mouth but
have not had a problem with the fish contents making themselves
evident... (It could happen, I guess)
From what I have read, the act of fish printing started as a means
of record keeping for Japanese fishermen who needed to tally the size
and number of fish caught. The rest is history so they say but I have
read nothing about the color representation of red. Let me know what
you find out.
Enjoy,
Kerin Allen