Re: scenery design

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Michelle H. Harrell (mmhar)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:39:54 PST

Boy, I'm glad that you wrote this message! I have been given a similar
"assignment" to do the backdrops and props for the spring play at my
middle school. I'd like to hear all advice because I've never done this
either. The play is called "Narnia" and is based on The Witch , The
Lion, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. I plan to get my art club (we met
for the first time on Monday) to do the majority of the work. My
classes are too large for an activity like this in my opinion although I
will have to recruit a few for the work.

I plan on using tempera paint on stretched canvas backdrops because the
acrylic is more expensive and will probably shine in the spotlight.
Depending on what I see that the kids will do, I will most likely sketch
the basic design and let them choose the details and textures for that
area. I'm interested in any suggestions from those who have done the
stage sets for their school or has done or seen Narnia.

Michelle Harrell