Re: snow ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ellyn Wenk (ellyn)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:15:09 -0500

menichino wrote:

> Wow, Ellyn -- thank you thank you thank you!!! I love doing snow
> sculptures but not only is it really cold (so cold that the snow
> doesn't
> pack), but many kids don't wear boots and gloves, so I can;'t bring
> them
> outside. Now, I can bring the snow to them!!! Any special kind of
> bins
> work better? Wow Now I hope we DON'T have a snow day tomorrow!!
> Liz in rural NY
>
> ----------
> > From: Ellyn Wenk <ellyn>
>

> > I bring the snow into the room in big bins, it warms up enough to
> work
> > on right in the room, then we bring the sculptures outside.

I put real bath towels down on their tables. I ask them to wear their
gloves to class. The bins I have are about 4 inches deep and about two
feet long. I also have those smaller plastic hospital trays that are
about 20 inches long by 2 inches deep, I give each child one of these
{A styrofoam plate will also work} and the big bin holds the snow in the
middle of the table. I give each child a cup to scoop snow with and
markers work to add color. When they get used to the snow they take off
their gloves and if it gets too cold they just wipe their hands on the
towels. At the end the towels are used to wipe up any melted snow. It
is a really clean and exciting lesson on form. I love it and so do the
students.