Re: Fwd: Tax on Internet access

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:06:25 -0800

Lincoln Arts wrote:

> Dear Fellow ArtsEdNetters,
>
> If this is true.....
> >
> >Dear All:
> >
> >Forwarding the information below for those who may want to respond.
> >
> >Congress will be voting in less than two weeks. CNN stated that the
> >Government would, in two weeks time, decide to allow or not allow a Charge
> >to your phone bill equal to a Long Distance call EACH time you access the
> >Internet.

Another hoax. There is NO WAY the phone company can discern whether you are using your
phone line for a call or to access the Internet, unless it wants to look up the numbers
all their customers are dialing every minute of every day.

A good rule of thumb for deciding whether to send messages like this out is: if it's
been forwarded countless times, it's most likely a hoax.

Maggie