Re: scenery design

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:50:05 -0500

In addition to Karen's excellent suggestions you might try something
I had to do in school. Our instructor took a group picture in this
case you might assign a team to a panel. Then depending on the
production you all would decide on the approach- using photographs
of productions on broadway if it's popular such as the king and I or
Oklahoma etc. A piece you are aware of. If not then use an existing
collage of photo's from a mag., or a drawing from each team. this is
why karen suggested checking into and studying background. You can
use many different style, like Chagall, Dali, Hockney etc. or
classical- So the next step was to divide the picture into a grid
and do a charcoal drawing of each section. One person to a section.
This will help in the placement of lines for doing the layout on the
muslin. Definitely have the kids involved in this process and not
just as colorists. You didn't say how old they are. Also when doing
the individual section if they are middle schoolers you can have
them do line drawings.( think in calder terms-wire)
Sandra Barrick
astroboy